A revolutionary new approach to reducing weight, saving fuel and reducing C02 footprint with 100% recyclable carpet. This while enjoying the freedom of unlimited creativity and custom cabin interior design.
The product is a relatively new form of aviation carpeting produced by Green Sky Textiles. It comes with a very long list of benefits, many of them inconceivable in a conventional woven carpet.
It is made completely of PET, a polyester that easily meets the burn, smoke and toxicity tests for aircraft interiors. (Burn Certs on File) Two forms of the PET are used in the carpeting, a felt-like backing and an almost impermeable top surface.
- It weighs 920 grams per square meter, about 1000 grams less than conventional carpet
- This translates into fuel savings (an industry average of $100 per year per kg at oil priced around $80/bbl. That’s about $16,500 per year for a B737-800.
- This also translates into significant CO2 savings – about 300kg/square meter of carpet per year.
- Other cost reductions:
- Green Carpet does not fray, so edges do not need serging (a significant cost reduction), and the Velcro-like tape typically used for installation can be reused 6-8 times (conventional doubled-sided tape can also be used, but not reused).
- The price of the Green Carpet is at the lower range of aircraft carpets.
- Typical delivery time (ex-works) is 4 weeks
Other characteristics of the Green Carpets are interesting:
It truly is “Green”, not just with reduced greenhouse gas emissions, but it is fully recyclable after use, and the production process is also environmentally friendly.
The carpet does not shrink so even if it is removed from the aircraft to be power-washed, it will fit back in the same space with no gaps – it dries within hours.
Noise suppression, the carpet has been found to reduce noise significantly when used on walls, bulkheads or as closet linings.
One final advantage is Inventory. Because the carpet is printed, there is no need for large minimal orders. Once the design is within our file system, orders are printed as needed. (Reducing the need for warehouse space and maintaining unnecessary inventory levels.